Lime Curd
A while ago, I attempted making jam, and I failed dismally (see blackberry and caramel jus). So for now, I am happy making citrus curd instead. Even though the shelf life is shorter than that of other preserves (about 3 weeks in the fridge), they are definitely easier and far less messy to produce. Don’t be afraid to boil this recipe, I promise you wont end up with scrambled eggs. Apparently the combination of acid and sugar prevents the mixture from curdling. Too easy and too delicious.
Ingredients
4 limes
75g cultured butter
100g honey
100g caster sugar
3 free range eggs
5ml coconut essence
Method
Using a citrus zester, remove the zest of all 4 limes. Make sure to use only the green zest and not the white bitter pith.
Finely chop the julienned zest into a fine powder.
Squeeze the juice.
Place the zest, juice, butter, honey, and eggs into a saucepan. Heat gently until thickened.
Add the coconut essence, off the heat and stir to combine. Depending on how sour the limes are, you may like to add a touch more sugar.
Store in a covered container in the fridge. Makes about 200g.




3 comments:
Hi! This is my first time at your site but your lime photo and the curd recipe guarantee that this won't be my last visit! I tried making my first citrus curd last fall (with meyer lemons)and I could have eaten the entire batch in one sitting! I've never tasted lime curd but I absolutely love limes and can't wait to try this!
Lime curd seems to be popular lately, it's popping up everywhere! I've never made it though so I'll have to give it a try.
I love fruit curds. You must try this in a Lime Meringue Pie, it would be heavenly!
Post a Comment