I have been very unorganized of late, and it was quite by accident that I stumbled across the Latin American festival today in Melbourne. I just couldn’t help buying a boxful of traditional dulce de leche filled pastries to gorge myself on.
Let them eat…alfajores, I say!
Posted by Paul at 8:46 pm
Labels: alfajores, pastry, south america
| Australian Food Bloggers Ring | |||||||||||||||||||
| list >> | random >> | join | |||||||||||||||||
| Site Ring from Bravenet | |||||||||||||||||||
8 comments:
That fiesta often has little wonders hidden among the BBQs, they look wonderful. The last time I had alfajores was at Bar Lourinha, served with tea poured from a colourful pot in the shape of a cat. Apparently they're made by the mum of someone in the team.
I love anything with dulce de leche! I once had a boss who had lived in Argentina and swore that dulce de leche was made by boiling a tin of condensed milk - which he did - and then got a can opener to it while it was boiling. The whole thing exploded into his face and we had to race him to hospital.
Hi Sticky- Thats exactly how they do the dulce de leche. Its a stupid way of making dulce if you ask me, but who am I to argue with millions of Latinos..When I was a boy it was quite common to hear stories about cans exploding all over peoples kitchen walls, ceilings, curtains etc...I make my dulce the "old" way which is simmering milk with sugar and vanilla until it has caramelized. The flavour and texture is superior (obviously). X
Yum, you could have shared!!!! I spy a Chilenito in amongst that feast... Marciano's in Clayton Road are good for Chilean cakes, all those you have on your place, he makes down there, also a little Argentinian place in Noble Park off Westal Road, just near Springvale Road does fabulous things with dulce... there are another two or three place in Noble Park I know of as well... I have luckily never had the cans explode on my but I know they do... I agree with you Paul, the old method is so much superior in flavour... Vida x x x
I do it the old way too, and served a thinner version with our Christmas pudding last year. It made a big difference to the end of the meal.
Thanh was at the Fiesta too, I posted a back link to your post in the comments.
Stickyfingers and Paul, those stories of exploding cans of condensed milk are hilarious and probably too common for my liking. When I was making some banoffee pie recently, I took the more safe road to make the caramel by boiling brown sugar and milk and butter instead of boiling the condensed milk.
I think I will buy a can of dulce de leche next time I'm at A1 Bakery. Sounds like it is nice to eat with regular donuts even.
Hi Thanh- Actually the most common way to eat "dulce de leche" is with toasted bread and butter. Or baked inside croissaant style pastries with a coffee for breakfast. So your idea of eating it with doughnuts is pretty accurate. "Dulce" in Spanish means sweet and is the term often affixed with jams. So Dulce de Leche translate roughly as Milk Jam. X
I've never had alfajores, to my great lament :-( If you know of any places that sells them in Sydney, please shout out!
We ate Churros stuffed with dulce de leche at the harvest picnic yesterday...grrr. I kept one for this morning to have with a strong dark cup of Vietnamese coffee.
I saw this post on Chez Pim about Dulce de leche and noticed an interesting comment on the Cuban version.
Post a Comment